So you have gorgeous new oil finish hardwood floor, and you want to make sure it remains beautiful for years to come. What oil finish hardwood floor cleaning tips do you need to commit to memory?
Oil Finish Floor Care and Maintenance Tips
Proper cleaning makes all the difference in the longevity of your oil finish hardwood floors.
First and foremost, humidity levels must be maintained between 35-55% at all times. Additionally, a consistent room temperature between 65-85 degrees Fahrenheit is needed. Also, you MUST use cleaning products specifically made for oil finish floors. Most off the shelf floor cleaning products contain alcohol as a drying agent and the chemical nature of the product will damage an oil finish floor and void the manufacturer’s warranty.
Westfield Indiana’s Full Circle Flooring’s Top Oil Finish Hardwood Floor Cleaning Tips
- Clean daily with a soft broom, microfiber mop or a raised beater or suction type vacuum to remove dirt and debris
- Avoid using water and vinegar solutions, soap-based cleaners, cleaning products containing alcohol or wax
- Do not use steam mop cleaning systems
- When needed, mop or wipe clean using sprayed natural cleaner for oil finished floors
- For heavier traffic areas or deep cleaning, use an oil finished floor spot remover or rejuvenating oil
- Trust a professional to touch up scratches or small areas. In most cases, this can be done without sanding or re-oiling the entire floor
- Eventually floors will need re-oiled. They will appear dry, worn and feel rough. For some floors it could be annually, for others possibly every other year or longer. The time frame for re-oiling depends on many factors, including traffic, pets, as well as temperature and humidity. Always trust a National Wood Flooring Association (NWFA) certified professional for your re-oiling maintenance.
Are you a NWFA certified professional needing to purchase quality oil finish hardwood floor cleaning and maintenance products? We can help. We’re a certified dealer of several top brands.
Want to learn more about the natural glow of oil finish hardwood floors? Hop over to our recent blog.
Check out all our hardwood flooring options here.